Backtracking Thoughts

About a week and a half ago I commented on a geometric art display, but since then someone pointed about that the writing from the art work could be poking fun at verbal proofs.  I was struck.  How didn’t I see that?

While I must continue to see the beauty in the math, I must also be aware of the perceptions of others.  A teacher must always have an idea of what misconceptions she/he may encounter in the classroom, that she/he may be prepared to answer.

While considering all of this, I got to thinking about why someone would want to poke fun at geometric proofs, and I think that goes back to my last post as well, the fact that mathematics may often be taught as mere rules and structure, instead of taught in meaningful ways.

My college geometry class is exciting the way proofs are developed.  Yet as I study for the Geometry Regents (taken in High School) while for me the proofs are still fun, they’re also so much more structured.

“Statement/Reason.”

Honestly, what percentage of high school freshmen will see the importance of writing, “why two angle are equal” in two neat little columns?  I’ll admit, I always liked proofs, but like I said earlier, I’m trying to focus on the perception of others, and I’m seeing that for some high schoolers, that may seem like the most boring thing they’re required to do.

So let it be fun!

What activities would make a proof fun? Maybe giving them something like the art piece perviously shown and asking them to develop their own questions about it – then answer them! Hmm, this technique actually sounds a bit familiar to me…