Sick in Near-Spring

Recipe of the Week: Cheesy Baked Mashed Potatoes

Maybe it’s the sudden change of weather. Maybe it’s because I’m being exposed to a lot of children. Or it might even be just because of all the stress. Lo and behold I’ve caught yet another cold.

When I was younger, being sick meant being able to stay home and watch some of my favorite movies and drink gingerale all day. How the times have changed. Now, being sick means missing class notes, procrastinating assignments, and sitting there praying that it’ll all be over soon so I can get back to life.

Needless to say, getting sick is now a stressful affair fraught with horrid “walk into class naked and realize you have to take a test you didn’t study for” dreams.

It’s funny how denial works its way into your emotions. All along I’ve been trying to convince myself that all the work was manageable and that I could tough through it. I didn’t let myself feel the stress, because I knew how devastating it would be to my mental health. But it appears it’s taking a toll on my physical health.

My apologies for a bitter post – I sit here under a blanket with a heavy head and a box of tissues while I write. I suppose this is more of a precautionary post. Make sure you know your own personal limits, and don’t be too eager to push them because in some way shape or form, you could get sick.

On a more positive note, while I was still feeling “okay” I made some mashed potatoes with cheese. Probably the best mashed potatoes I’ve ever had, if I do say so myself. Enjoy, and take care.

Ingredients:

(Feeds about 4-5 people)

-6-7 Russet Potatoes peeled and diced

-1 cup of milk (you can substitute milk for half and half or cream)

-1/2 stick of butter melted

-Bread Crumbs

-3/4 cup of Shredded Parmesan Cheese

-One bag full of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (you can substitute the mozzarella with any cheese you like)

-Salt/Ground Pepper

-Rosemary (crushed if dry or chopped if fresh)

Potatoes

Step One: Peel and dice potatoes (you don’t have to dice the potatoes, but I noticed it takes longer to soften when I don’t). Place potatoes into pot, and fill with enough water to just cover the potatoes. Set the water to boil, and leave boiling until potatoes are tender (this takes about 15 minutes or so). Drain out the water once done.

Step Two: In baking dish, mash potatoes into tiny bits, then add milk and butter. The milk and butter will create the signature creamy texture of mashed potatoes. Add salt, pepper, and rosemary to taste. Add about half a cup of parmesan cheese, and the bag of mozzarella cheese. Mix well.

Step Three: Smooth out the mashed potatoes. Then add the parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs on top (do not mix). Bake for about half an hour at 400 degrees, or until breadcrumbs become a crispy golden brown.

Stay healthy everyone. If there is a dish you’d like to see, leave a comment and I may just post a recipe. Enjoy!