Virginia Tries Amigurumi

I’ve always wanted to make amigurumi because they looked so cute! According to Rachel from Little Yarn Friends, “ami” is Japanese for knitted or crocheted and “nuigurumi” means stuffed creature. Her post also discusses the history of amigurumi. You can go to Stephanie’s post on All About Ami to get an overview of the skills and supplies needed to make amigurumi. Her blog also features a lot of fun and clear patterns!

On World Octopus Day (October 8), I made the Pygmy Octopus featured on the Lion Brand website (I’m confused as to why it’s listed as a stitch when it’s not.) The pattern is originally from a book, 75 Seashells, Fish, Coral & Colorful Marine Life to Knit & Crochet. Since you can access the pattern through the link, I won’t repost it here. Instead, I’ll tell you about my thoughts during the process.

Pattern

Patterns come in two different forms: written and diagram. A written pattern will describe the steps in rows or rounds and abbreviate crochet stitches. In my crochet bow post, I shared a few abbreviations: ch for chain stitch, sc for single crochet, and sl st for slipstitch but it is sometimes abbreviated as ss too. A written pattern may also multiple parts for different aspects of the item such as a cuff, eyes, legs, and so on. What I love most about written patterns is that most of them have the total number of stitches per row or round.

On the other hand, a diagram is what you would assume it to be: a visual representation of the stitches. It’s a great way to picture the steps needed to do a project. I prefer written patterns because I have no idea what the symbols on a diagram mean. (Then again, I never tried reading a diagram for a project.)

Process

As I started crocheting the Pygmy Octopus, I realized that I haven’t made a  magic circle in a very long time. With my old friend Google’s help, I found a video tutorial. (I think it’s the same video I watched when I learned how to make a magic circle.)

Magic circles are adjustable rings and the foundation for many hat patterns and amigurumi patterns. They also don’t have the tiny hole that’s created by slipstitching a chain together.

Octopus Post Chain Loop

Slipstitching a chain together VS…

Octopus Magic Circle

The magic circle

I like to weave the tail in as I crochet so I don’t have another end to weave in when I’m done. As I crocheted, I pulled the tail tight to shrink the hole in the magic circle. I did this repeatedly because the hole loosened.

Octopus Weaving Stitch Marker
Before I bought stitch markers, I used bobby pins and hair clips to mark the end of the previous round. They get the job done, but I can attach and remove stitch markers more easily. I just need to press the end.

Octopus Stitch Marker in Use
This project reminded me that a crochet is a great way to improve concentration. I had to be aware of the number of stitches I was making according to the pattern, especially when making chain stitches. (If you haven’t tried to the crochet chain necklace I suggested on my previous post, you should try it. The necklace requires a thousand chains. Let me know if you lost count. I had a way of keeping track, but I won’t share it with you!)

Octopus Acorn

Oh look, a tiny hat!

Octopus Starting the Leg

Started to make the arms…

After I was done crocheting, I realized that the bottom of the octopus was open. Based on Stephanie’s Elephant pattern, I made a magic circle with 4 sc, made 2 sc in each sc, and made 2 sc in each sc in the next round. I ended with a ss in the next stitch. There were three rounds, the last round having 16 sc.

Octopus Bottom
After stuffing my octopus with polyester fiberfill, I attached the bottom piece with ss by sticking my hook under the two loops of the bottom piece and one loop on the inner edge of the octopus.

Octopus Attaching Bottom

Octopus Bottom Attached
Alright, time to give this octopus eyes! The pattern called for French knots, which I didn’t know how to make. I found this video that really helped:

The first French knot I made was wonky, most likely because I left a little too much embroidery thread before twisting the thread around my needle. The eyes are really small but I’m sure I’ll get better as I make more French knots.

Octopus Eyes
Looking at my octopus more closely reminded me to keep the size of my stitches consistent. My sc got bigger in later rounds and thus, the stuffing is visible from the holes.

Octopus Done
I spent an hour doing this project. Lion Brand’s pattern is straightforward; I’m considering getting the book since I love sea life. If you’re confused at any part, let me know in the comments.

Crafting into the sunset,
Virginia