Più Arte!*

*Più arte = more art

Too much about politics in the past couple of weeks, we want more about studying abroad and Italy! Am I right?

Instead of bombarding you with information and lots of writing, this weeks post will be very easy to read. Well, more like observe. As I’ve mentioned in a previous post, my time studying in Florence has given me the opportunity to get back into drawing and I feel as though I really have improved. Take a look and you can be the judge!

My midterm project: an exercise on shading and working with patterns. The final product is in watercolors – maybe one day I’ll let you see it, but for now, the penciled version:

The next exercise was in class at a church called Santo Spirito, right around the corner from the apartment I’m living in this semester. I started working more with shading and shadows from here on out:

An in-class 5 minute sketch on creating depth in an image with just a slight change in pressure when using pencil:

I may or may not have seen the Acropolis in Athens, Greece, and here is my quick sketch:

A typical Greek column seen at the Acropolis:

Since I was in Greece, I had to dedicate one of my sketches to the wonderful country. Sure, they might be in crisis, but they’re a wonderful bunch:

This was another quick exercise in my apartment – just a plain and simple table:

The following sketch was done in class at a library in central Florence that had a presentation of modern sculptures. What do you think they’re meant to represent?

The symbol of Firenze (Florence), the Duomo (the dome)! This was a sketch done in less than 30 minutes in class:

The following sketch was an out-of-class assignment done in a church right outside of Florence with a view of the whole city:

The next sketch is part of a church from central Florence that has a medieval style:

The following sketch is from the same church as the previous sketch, but is a focus on the tiling of an architectural monument:

This final and more recent sketch is when we started experimenting with figures (sculptures) of Florence:

Tell me what you think, care to critique? I can take it!

Stay tuned for more about my experiences in Florence and Europe as they come to an end.

‘Till next time!

#YOFLO (You only Florence once).