Scarves and Stitches

Scarf First

My first scarf, which was made using single crochets.

Despite the occasional days when the temperature is oddly high, winter is almost here. I hate the cold, even though I love to wear leggings with a tunic or a sweater during this time of year. The weather motivates me to crochet scarves to keep warm. (Ironically, I also enjoy making scarves in the middle of summer.) Consider buying two skeins or balls of yarn depending on the kind of yarn you want to use, and crocheting a scarf for yourself or for someone you love.

Scarves are great beginner projects. In fact, my first crochet creation was a peacock blue infinity scarf.

Scarves are easily customizable; just add or subtract chains or rows to alter the width or length. Like many projects that involve repetition, crocheting scarves is a great way to improve your concentration. You always need to be aware of the number of stitches you’re making in each row. I like to make sure each row has the same number of stitches, so when I discover that I accidentally missed a stitch or added another, one row after I made the mistake I take out everything until that point. Scarves require a lot of patience to make, especially when you’re using very thin yarn. If you want to make a scarf quickly, I suggest you use larger crochet hooks and bulky yarns.

Please refer to this post to learn how to make a foundation chain and single crochet stitches if you would like to make a scarf using single crochet. If you would like to try other stitches, the following are stitches that add texture.

“Knitted” Stitch

When I found this tutorial on Pinterest, I was so happy because I didn’t know how to knit. All About Ami shows you how to emulate knitted stitches by using half double crochets! However, this technique only works if you crochet in the round, something Stephanie explains how to do in the post.

Scarf Knitted

Bobble Stitch

Bobble stitches are very bulky, but lots of fun to make. These bobble stitches featured on Dream a Little Bigger  consist of five double crochets. The original post teaches you how to make rows of bobble stitches in alternating widths. It’s a great detail to add on hats, too!

Scarf Bobble

Angel Stitch

Meladoras Creations featured a stitch that makes a lot of holes, but is really pretty. The wind might get through, but several layers wrapped around will keep the warmth in!

Scarf Angel

Floating Shell Stitch

I love this shell stitch featured on Trifles N Treasures even though it was tricky at first. To make the floating effect, you stitch the fans in the front loops of the stitches in the previous row. You stitch the back loops that become the unworked front loops when you’re working on the row in the back. When I first started using this stitch, I would stitch the front loops of the shells instead.

Scarf Shell Floating

I used the same stitch here without crocheting in the front loops to make the shells flat.

Scarf Shell Flat

Bean Stitch

My current project uses bean stitches featured on Meladoras Creations. This is a different kind of bobble stitch that isn’t as pronounced as the bobble stitch featured before. The bean stitches alternate directions, creating a really cool effect. I changed the pattern a little by starting and ending with a half double crochet on each row to keep the rows even with my single crochet rows.

20151130_173624

Once I’m done with this scarf, I want to make a scarf entirely of bean stitches.

If you want to take a break from your studies or you need to multitask when you’re watching TV, try making a scarf! Wearing something you made is very satisfying. Giving someone something you made is even more satisfying!

I’m always looking for crochet stitches to try to keep my crocheting hobby from becoming monotonous. If you have any suggestions, comment below! If you have a question, you can ask me in the comments too.

Crafting into the sunset,
Virginia

2 thoughts on “Scarves and Stitches