Denial

Recipe of the Week: Shawarma

Denial is a powerful, defense mechanism. Over the years, I’ve found that denial is the single most frustrating emotion I’ve ever experienced. Because I refuse to admit that anything is wrong, I incorrectly interpret my desires and actions, and go around confusing myself into oblivion.

Talk about a lack of intrapersonal skills.

For example, when I get upset, but refuse to acknowledge it, I begin to make outrageous plans, like visiting California, intending to see it through. I’ll obsess over planning every meticulous detail for weeks; months even, to make sure nothing is left to chance. And after that long period of careful planning, I’ll realize that I never wanted to go to California in the first place, and that I actually wanted to go visit Hawaii.

And the vicious cycle goes on.

I never actually feel sad when I’m supposed to. I’ve come to realize that when I begin making ridiculous plans, it’s a sign that something’s wrong.

Over the past few months, I’ve had very few outlets to truly escape thinking at all, and cooking is by far, the best outlet.

In the past week, I’ve made more dishes than I can count. But I’ve been unsure how to present them. What should accompany my recipe? My plans to move to California when I graduate, or my plans to move to Hawaii when I retire? I’m not living in reality anymore and I’m having trouble expressing genuine thoughts.

As I’m writing, I wonder why I even bother sharing this at all. Maybe it’s because as I write it, it helps me figure out what’s going on. But mostly, I feel that this type of coping mechanism can easily be misinterpreted as an irrational behavior, when really it’s the result of a more deeply rooted issue. It’s a basic concept in theory, but harder to realize in practice, especially concerning yourself.

My aunt came over the other day to help me make shawarma for the first time. This is the simplest I could make the recipe. Feel free to change/add ingredients and make it your own.

Ingredients

-1 pack of chicken breast (my aunt insists that it must be chicken breasts because chicken thighs don’t come out the same)

-1 packet of Shawarma spices (available at most multicultural supermarkets)

-Red pepper

-Salt

-Half a lemon, squeezed

-Crushed Garlic

-Grape Seed Oil (or Vegetable Oil)

-Pita Bread

-Hummus

Sandwich Toppings:

-Sliced Lettuce

-Sliced tomatoes

-Sliced pickles

-Sliced onions

-Sliced pickled radishes

photo-1

Step One: Defrost chicken if frozen. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut chicken into small bite sized pieces. Cover chicken with the shawarma spices, red pepper, salt, lemon juice, garlic, and grape seed oil. Bake in oven for about 45 minutes.

photo

Step Two: Now that the chicken is ready, all that’s left to do is make the sandwich! I use hummus as the spread even though it’s a little untraditional to do so. Traditionally, tahini sauce with a little garlic and lemon is used as the spread. Whatever you decide to use, cut pita bread open and spread the sauce on one side completely. Add chicken and whatever sandwich toppings you desire. Enjoy your middle-eastern sandwich!

If there’s a recipe you would like to see, comment the dish name below and I may use it in my next post! Enjoy your week.

2 thoughts on “Denial

1. Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to
    be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of.

I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal.
    Will probably be back to get more. Thanks