Neglect

I will start this off quite bluntly, I’ve been neglectful of myself and of the number one means to empty stress – writing. Or typing, considering the innovative age we’re in. What’s up with people using technology as an excuse to not get in touch? If innovation = technology = easier then why does life in general = inhibitions, confusion, and never enough time for easy.

A friend whom I thought it wise to call back despite the hour of the night/ morning had me realize an aspect I think I’ve pushed behind me. If we are so intent on empathizing with the masses why aren’t we in the places where the dismal magic happens – like soup kitchens – why are we instead stuck in our rooms reading masses of texts about others’ revelatory findings. Sure it’s a good call to reflect on mistakes made triumphs conquered, but maybe it would be more effective if we could empathize with that author by actually living through momentous occasions as well. We would be more apt to understanding what they have to say on society if we were avid members of at least a few extra of this multi – layered reality. So long as the sun comes up on another day there is room for reflection.

Last week on Monday a handful (and then some?) of people got arrested at Baruch college in a clash against the CUNY Safety Officers. It’s ironic that they in fact provoked unsafe conditions for those resisting to reside in the “overflow” room instead of the actual Board of Trustees meetings. Through the grapevines I’ve come to understand some of the picture. Seems the farce public hearing has been dragged to a whole new level. After many rendezvous at these bureaucratic dog piles I’d like to say ‘finally something happened’ but that would be crass and unsympathetic to the cruel realities that are abound to those that got bagged. This coming Monday will be round two for many.

With all this going on academia seems obsolete! Thursday is my biggest day of the week and yet I decided to hit the streets shortly after my speech at the teach in – just like thousands of other city folks. Classes seemed not of the essence, but as the end of the semester draws to a close I wonder what the endpoint of my grades will be considering how caught up I am in not getting stuff done. Not the traditional stuff anyway. Part of me knows I can unload much of this onto people but also questions the ability for others to feel it..

Wondering if with all this commiseration there’s empathy for me out there…