Demos & Deadlines

Four years of schooling cumulate into one point, graduation.  Still, what does the fact that I’m graduating mean? I’m graduating with a degree in Mathematics Education so I can go on to teach students mathematics.  I’ve spent the last four years learning the how to’s, and the deeper mathematics concepts so now, as I go to impart knowledge on young people’s minds, I’m hopefully prepared.

With that in mind, graduation becomes a stepping stone into real live, where I need to actually get a job. Getting a job, especially a teaching job, can be daunting.  The process is: Apply, Interview, Demo, Get hired.  Well, I did start applying, and then got an interview (for which I was incredibly nervous about).  That all amounted to me getting called back for a demo.  Say what?! Yes a demo! This means that I needed to go in and teach a lesson to a class for the administration to see if they liked my teaching! So that’s what I did! This past Friday I went into an amazing school, with wonderful philosophies of teaching, and went to teaching a demo.  I was so nervous, but I went and, if I do say so myself, I conquered.  Not necessarily conquered in the idea of getting a job, but conqured some of my own hesitancies.

Goldfish Colors

My lesson focused on the Strong Law of numbers.  As a class we explored how the more experiments we do, the average, or mean of the collected data, gets closer to the Expected Value.  This is a valuable conceptual lesson for understanding why we can use parameters, like n*p=µ in statistics, and thus I thought it would be a fun way to discover it if we did our own experiments with goldfish.

Honestly, it was the most fun I ever had teaching a lesson, and after my confidence was at an all time high for the next three days.  I can’t say that it was a perfect lesson, by any means.  What I can say is that, for the first time, I wasn’t nervous about a major lesson, but rather had fun teaching a lesson I felt confident in, and a lesson that I knew embodied my own philosophies of teaching.

My take-away from that entire experience is that, even if I don’t get the job, I feel more confident in myself, and my ability to impart knowledge into the lives of my future students.

As I write that I’m chuckling to myself.  Today marked the last undergraduate assignment that I ever will need to hand in (with the exception of possible post-baccalaureate in Biology) – today was the deadline for my educational portfolio.  Sprawled out across the pages of my portfolio are visions of the teacher that I want to be – someone who makes a difference in the lives of students.  My demo lesson was ideally placed in the timeframe of my life in that, as I handed in my portfolio today, I handed it in with the knowledge that I am capable of reaching my goals as a teacher, all because of that simple experience from Friday.  I have more than empty philosophies, and unfruitful ideas, but I have the ability to act upon my knowledge; I have the ability to actually impart onto my future students the ultimate goal, that math truly is beautiful.

7 thoughts on “Demos & Deadlines

1. Congratulations on rocking the demo! 😀 I wish you the best. I think you’ll become one of those rare math teachers that kids actually like xD

2. I love reading all your posts….. It has been an amazing journey so far and the best is yet to come. It is so great that you bring your love of math into everything you enjoy doing. Congratulations on your graduation and continue to be a blessing to all you meet.

3. Article Source: Russell, Internet Marketer, Publisher & Property Investor offers surefire methods to help you succeed on the web. You can’t help but share an affection hate relationship using this type of genre of writing.

4. I absolutely love your blog and find the majority of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for.
    can you offer guest writers to write content for you?
    I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on a lot of
    the subjects you write concerning here. Again, awesome blog!