MLB Season Predictions

The 2015 Major League Baseball season is a week away, and with that it is time for some predictions. A lot has changed over the past five months. Some teams have made major strides towards playoff baseball, and others have vanished into the darkness. With that being said, let’s take a look at who I think will win each division in baseball.

American League East

Boston Red Sox

red-sox

The decision came down to the Red Sox and Blue Jays for me. This was a tough decision, but the veteran presence and bullpen that the Red Sox have gives them a slight edge. Both teams have elite lineups, but they lack starting pitching. I think the Red Sox will be very active in looking to trade for a top flight pitcher, and they have the prospects to pull in someone like Cole Hamels. If the Red Sox add a top of the order pitcher, they can be one of the best teams in all of baseball.

American League Central

Chicago White Sox

White-Sox-Logo-On-Black-Background

I’m going to go with a bit of a shocker here. The Detroit Tigers and Cleveland Indians seem to be the popular opinion. The Kansas City Royals were in the World Series last year! At the end of the day, I think the White Sox have the best combination of lineup, rotation and bullpen. Jose Abreu will look to expand on his monstrous rookie season, Melky Cabrera should be a great addition in front of Abreu and with Chris Sale and Jeff Samardzija leading the rotation, the Sox have two aces. David Robertson at the back of the bullpen should be able to slam the door closed as well. I think the White Sox are due for a major season.

American League West

Seattle Mariners

Seattle_Mariners

The rebuild for the Mariners has finally peaked. This team is ready for big things. With Robinson Cano and Nelson Cruz in the middle of their lineup, they have one of the most feared 3/4 combinations in all of baseball. There is young talent all over this lineup, with guys like Mike Zunino, Dustin Ackley, Brad Miller, etc. looking to take that next step. Felix Hernandez has been one of the most consistently excellent players in all of baseball for the past ten or so years. With Hernandez leading a rotation containing elite prospects Taijuan Walker and James Paxton, with Hisashi Iwakuma and his dominance as well…the Mariners pitching is scary. This is one of the best teams in baseball and with this team being so young, they will be really good for a long time.

National League East

Washington Nationals

Washington_Nationals

The Nationals have the best rotation in all of baseball. Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmerman, Doug Fister and Gio Gonzalez all have front of the rotation talent. What scares me with this team is their bullpen and the inconsistency of their lineup. Anthony Rendon was a breakout star last season, and Bryce Harper is one of the most exciting players in the game, but besides that they seem to be lacking. Jayson Werth and Ryan Zimmerman make an impact when they are on the field, but that has been a problem the last couple seasons. Ian Desmond saw a down season in 2014 and will look to rebound this year. If their hitting can come together, this team can be really dangerous.

National League Central

St. Louis Cardinals

St_Louis_Cardinals

I wanted to pick the Chicago Cubs so badly, but I think it is just too early for them. The Cardinals know how to get it done and have the talent to still be a powerhouse. I think the Jason Heyward addition was one of the quietest big moves of the offseason. An elite talent that never put it all together for Atlanta may see his career come together in St. Louis. With players like Yadier Molina, Matt Holiday, Matt Carpenter and Kolten Wong, the Cardinals can hit. Adam Wainwright is the much needed ace, and Michael Wacha and Carlos Martinez are very promising young talents. The Cubs will have their day and should be very much in the mix for Wild Card, but it is hard to pick against this team.

National League West

San Diego Padres

San_Diego_Padres

This team went all out in the offseason. With Matt Kemp, Justin Upton, Wil Myers and James Shields now calling San Diego home, this is a completely new team. The Dodgers lost a lot of their lineup. I can’t trust that team to put up runs and the same could be said about the Giants. If these new Padres can stay healthy, they should be able to put up tons of runs. With Shields and Cashner headlining a rotation containing plenty of talent, their pitching should be very consistent as well. The Padres proved that they are ready to win and the money they spent should pay dividends very quickly.

World Series Prediction

Boston Red Sox vs. Washington Nationals

The Boston Red Sox have a mix of young talent and experience which I think is pivotal down the stretch. Guys like David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia have been there and know what is expected. Guys like Mookie Betts, Rusney Castillo and Xander Bogaerts are budding stars and can catapult this team. With Cuban phenom Yoan Moncada not too far away from the major leagues, he may provide a spark late this season. The one flaw with this team is their pitching. The Red Sox proved last year that they are not afraid of making major moves at the trade deadline. I think we will see the Red Sox add a front of the rotation starter at some point this season and if they do, I don’t think there will be a better team in baseball.

Boston Red Sox veteran Designated Hitter David Ortiz

The Washington Nationals have the opposite problem of the Red Sox. The Nationals pitching is phenomenal, but their hitting is unreliable. When everyone is healthy, this team can really hit. I thought the Nationals would win the World Series last year, and this year they are even better. I think it is time to see some major growth out of Bryce Harper. In watching some of his Spring Training action, I see a much more patient and mature hitter and I think that will add to his repertoire. Harper reaching his potential will provide the major bat in the middle of this lineup. Anthony Rendon, Jayson Werth, Ryan Zimmerman and other provide a nucleus of hitting that is needed to couple a rotation like this one. If the Nationals hitting gets going, look out.

Washington Nationals young superstar Bryce Harper looks to take that next step

World Series Champion

Washington Nationals

I truly believe that the Red Sox and Nationals are the best teams in baseball. With the Red Sox, I’m counting on a player that is not yet on the roster and for that reason I cannot trust that pick as much as I do with the Nationals. If the Red Sox can acquire a major starting pitcher, they will be as good as any team in the league. The Nationals have everything needed on their roster. They need their key hitters to stay healthy, and Bryce Harper to take that next step. I think those expectations are very reasonable for the Nationals and they should be hoisting the trophy in October.