Boxy Pouch with Zipper

I had to get a lot of markers for one of my courses this semester. The markers are great, but I’m annoyed that the plastic boxes they come in aren’t secure. Might as well make a pouch with some of my fabric scraps to put them to use! The design and construction of this pouch is based on this handbag:

Photo via Pretty Designs

Photo via Pretty Designs

I love how there’s dimension to it. If you have any questions as you’re making the pouch, please let me know in the comments!

Materials

You’ll need these:

• 1/2 yd. lightweight fusible facing: $0.50
  • A zipper you can trim to 13” after you attach the zipper to the fabric: $1.00

Other materials you’ll need are paper, paper scissors, fabric scissors, dressmaker’s pins, a sewing needle, thread, a ruler, and thread snips. Thread snips are tiny scissors you can use to cut thread. You can get most of these items at craft stores such as Michael’s and Joann’s. I love traveling to the Garment District to get my supplies because there are so many shops that specialize in different products including fabric, embellishments, and tools.

Map by the Garment District Alliance

The amount of fabric you need for this pouch depends on your design. You can use fat quarters (18” by 22” pre-cut pieces of fabric) to make the pouch. The lining should be a lightweight fabric.

Unless you need to buy some of the tools I listed, you can spend less than $20 for this project.

I suggest that you do this project during the weekend.

Preparation

You’ll need to draft four pattern pieces. The slideshow below shows the dimensions of each piece and how much of it you need to cut.
[metaslider id=7957]
On the lining piece, mark the long edge where the shorter edges are 2 1/2” as the edge you’ll cut along the fold. After you draw your pattern pieces on paper, cut them out. Iron out the wrinkles from the fabric you’re using. Pin the pattern pieces to your fabric and cut the pieces out. Use fabric scissors only to cut fabric or they’ll become dull!

Prep 2(The bottom fabric piece is different from the actual finished pouch because during the construction process I made a mistake.)

Now you need to cut the fusible facing for the two top pieces, one bottom piece, and two stripes. Pin the pattern pieces to the facing and cut them out. After you cut the fusible, trim the seam allowance off the fusible pieces. To save fusible facing, cut the one fusible from the stripe pattern, trim 1” from the short end, and cut the fusible in half.

Center the bumpy side of the fusible to the wrong side of the fabric pieces. The wrong side of a fabric usually looks different from the right side. For example, if the fabric is a print, the print is more faded on the wrong side.

If there are instructions included with your fusible, follow the instructions. Always test your fusible on a small piece of the fabric you’re using first. I usually iron with the heat setting most appropriate to my fabric type.

Prep 1 facing

Prep 3 facing on fabric

Construction

Attaching the zipper

I sewed a tack a few inches above the zipper stop of my 20” long zipper. To make a tack, thread a needle, make a knot on the thread, and make several stitches on top of each other. On the zipper, make sure the tack is across the zipper teeth.

Zipper 1

Open the zipper halfway. Using the tack as a guide, pin the right side of one of the top pieces to the zipper tape and baste. To baste means to make large stitches to temporarily secure pieces together. Remove the pins.

Zipper 2

I kept the pins as I basted just to show you.

If you are hand sewing, sew the fabric to the zipper tape 3/8” from the edge. If you have a sewing machine and a zipper foot, attach the zipper foot to the sewing machine and sew along the zipper teeth. Do the same for the other top piece.

Zipper 3

Remember to take out your pins as you sew if you kept them in!

Zipper 4

After sewing, fold the fabric over the seams you’ve sewn and iron flat. Topstitch as close to the edge of the seams as you can. Zip the zipper half way open and trim the excess.

Zipper 5

Zipper 6

Constructing the pouch

Pin the stripes to the bottom piece right sides together and sew. Iron the seams open. I chose to not finish my seams but if you want to, you can. Finishing your seams makes the fabric less likely to unravel. Trim your seams to reduce bulk.

Pouch 1

Pin the edges of the complete bottom piece and the top piece right sides together except the inside corners. Sew these long edges together. Trim the seams and press them open if you can.

Pouch 3

The next step is tricky and will explain why we made inner corners in the pattern pieces. These corners give the pouch structure. Pull the inner corners apart.

Pouch 4

Pinch those inside corners and pull them apart!

The seams you made before will be on top of each other. You’ll get a trapezoid shape. Pin the top edges of the trapezoid together and sew. Do this for the other three inner corners. Make sure the seams lay flat! Trim the newly-sewn seams.

Pouch 5

And you’re done with the pouch!

Pouch 6

Look at that shape!

Constructing the lining

Now, let’s make the lining. Fold 3/4” of the lining fabric towards the wrong side of the fabric and iron flat. Align the short edges with the folded fabric with the central “rectangle” right sides together. There will be a gap in between for the zipper. Pin, sew, and trim the seams.

Lining 1

The gap accommodates the zipper opening. Adjust how much of the lining you need to fold in on each side accordingly.

Lining 2

Just like with the pouch, pull the inner corners apart and pin the edges together. Make sure the seams you made lay flat. Sew and trim the seams.

Lining 3

Lining 4

Attaching the lining

Turn the lining right side out and put the pouch inside it so the wrong sides are together. Pin the lining to the zipper tape to cover the stitching lines you made when you attached the zipper.

Hand sewing 1

Hand sew the lining to the zipper tape in any stitch. I love using a slipstitch because it looks clean.

Hand sewing 2

With the needle coming out of the fold in the lining you made by ironing, stick your needle through a few threads in the zipper tape and pull through. Make sure the stitch doesn’t show on the outside.

Hand sewing 3

Stick your needle into the fold of the lining and make a 1/4″ stitch. Take a few threads from the zipper tape and repeat.

Hand sewing 4

So clean!

Turn the pouch inside out through the open zipper, and you’re done!

Finished

The pouch may seem droopy for now but once you put stuff in it, it will have more shape. If you make a pouch with this tutorial, I’d love to see it in the comments!

Finished Side View

Crafting into the sunset,

Virginia