Escape N.Y. or All Night Test Food Seoul Time

Escape N.Y. or All Night Test Food Seoul Time Chung Kiwa Omma Sonmat 青청기와한국요리식당에서 엄마손맛은 오래간만 only 12 bucks! — “… 姑娘是個明白人,沒聽見俗語說的『萬兩黃金 容易得,知心一個也難求?』」”

…True hearts may journey further unafraid of the mystery of what THIS is or is not. It’s not easy finding a special place where you can be alone and shut out the world. Such a utopia in our current age seems all the more fantastical in the unsleeping citadel of immigrant’s dreams. But when the seeds of a grand tale puts down roots deep in your psyche, the utopia becomes real. It’s the second time I’ve embarked on the literary sojourn into The Dream of the Red Chamber—an epic of 120 chapters in five volumes from the mind of an 18th century denizen of the Middle Kingdom.

But this semester, I’m doing it for credit in Professor Gopal Sukhu’s East Asian Studies—East 290 class. The proverbs, poetry, cautionary tales, window-into-the-human-soul observations, and enchanting personas, draw readers into a world just as real as our own reality. I highly recommend the course or just reading the tomes for your own pleasure. The Buddhist, Taoist, Confucian classic, one of the great four in the Chinese literary canon, has more than enough romance, adventure, magic and drama to satisfy cravings of any thirsty mind. Please, Disney, stay away from the screenplay.

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 4.35.20 PM

“…『万两黄金容易得,知心一个也难求?』」” “…’Wàn liǎng huángjīn róngyì dé, zhīxīn yīgè yě nán qiú?”” said 紫鹃 – Zijuan – Nightingale, as a warning to her mistress, 林黛玉 – Lin Daiyu, about Daiyu’s precarious marriage prospects, Dream of the Red Chamber … “Easier a golden hoard to win, Than find one understanding heart” — is David Hawkes’ translation of Nightingale’s ominous proverb from Cao Xueqin’s The Story of the Stone – Volume 3 – The Crab-Flower Club – page 103 – Chapter 57 Nightingale tests Jade Boy with a startling message, And Aunt Xue comforts Frowner with words of loving kindness…

I needed to study for a test and found myself riding the No. 7 lavender iron horse back and forth in search a place of quiet. It occurred to me to find my way to Roosevelt Avenue and 74th Street Station; and then to a 24-hour restaurant right outside. I’d not been there for some years and a broken heart ago: Chung Kiwa.

…After I settled in, the waitress said, 천천히 (cheon cheon hee) take my time, in Korean… even after I finished. She wouldn’t even take my credit card after I’d finished eating. But I insisted. I had a warm, relatively peaceful place to charge my laptop and tablet, and a decently sized table to spread my notes on… even with the food! The warm friendly service, and the food… 매운해물순두부찌개 sundubujjigae… spicy seafood tofu soup, brought me back to my happy days in Seoul, Busan, and all the wonderful little towns where I still long to be.

What’s better than mixing food, music and words of the mind? I ate all of the side dishes before the little hot black ceramic pot of the savory briny brew arrived. But in this restaurant, they do it old style, like in Korea. I just asked for more, no extra charge.

Pachata boom boom from next door and the well-lit decor made the issue of How to stay awake not difficult

IMG_20160406_085410-1

Cao Xuequin Quotes

Noteworthy:

Korean Film Archives

Campus Food Pantries For Hungry Students On The Rise

Meet the woman leading China’s new organic farming army