The Unripe Avocado

Recipe of the Week: Guacamole

And we’re back! Welcome everyone to the start of a new semester. Sorry for the delayed post, I was having some issues with uploading pictures.

I previously wrote about how depressing the start of the semester was because of all the rain and the snow. At a second glance I realized how that post might not have been suitable. I mean, who goes go on a blog to read about someone as stressed out as the rest of the student body?

Today I’m going to talk about avocados! The one and only reason why I’m choosing to write about avocados is because of my interesting experience with one this week. I don’t know if any of you have ever had an unripe avocado before, but it’s not good.

When going to the supermarket with the intent of buying avocados, try to figure out when you want to eat them. If you would like to eat them the day after, choose an avocado that looks ripe (look for dark greens, and colors close to black without being brown). If you want to eat an avocado later on in the week, choose an avocado that isn’t ripe yet (look for brighter greens). Do not, under any circumstance, buy a bright green avocado and then choose to eat it the next day. It will not taste good! It’s the same concept as the ripe and unripe banana. Because I had no one to tell that to me, I ended up buying bright green avocados.

I walked into my dorm the next morning, in high spirits, ready to eat some delicious guacamole. Alas, when I tried to cut open the avocado, my knife got stuck. The avocado was literally as hard as a rock. Now at this point I knew something was wrong, but I wanted my guacamole so I tried anyway.

I finally got the avocados open! Hurray! But when I used them for the recipe, they tasted horrible. Absolutely horrible. I couldn’t mash them so they came out hard and crunchy. Please do not make the same mistake and only buy bright green avocados if you intend to keep them lying around for a few days to ripen. Thankfully, I had the time to make the recipe again, with the same ingredients (with ripened avocados), and it tasted delicious.

Ingredients:

-Two avocados

-One tomato

-Five or six stems (not whole packs!) of parsley

-Two or three stems of cilantro

-One scallion

-Pita Bread (or chips)

Quick Tip with the Pita Bread: To make pita bread chips, take softened pita bread and lightly cut to perforate (do not cut all the way) the bread pizza style. Bake the bread in the oven on 350 for a few minutes. When the bread looks golden-brown, take it out and wait to cool. Now you can break apart the pita bread into pre-made shapes without the crumbs!

Step One: Cut the avocados in half around the seed vertically (do not try to cut through the seed). A quick trick to get the seed out is to lightly press down on the seed with the knife (as shown) and twist the knife in any direction. The seed should loosen out.

Step Two: Spoon out the contents of the avocado and put into a bowl. Dice tomatoes, finely chop the parsley, scallions, and cilantro. Add everything to bowl. Mash up until you get desired texture.

Step Three: Eat! This is what the guacamole should sort of look like. Unfortunately I only had a picture of the chunky avocado. Other than that it looks like normal guacamole. Enjoy!

I hope you guys are enjoying the beginning of this spring semester. If you would like to see a specific recipe, leave a comment and I may just post it!

One thought on “The Unripe Avocado